Thursday, December 11, 2008

In sweet memory...

On November 21, 2008 my Grandpa Christensen passed away unexpectedly while outside doing some yard work. We were all saddened to hear the news - he was such an example to all of us of service, compassion, hard work, and the love he had for the Lord and for us, his family.

After we got off the phone, Kendahl and the kids and I all gathered on the bed and started telling memories we had of him. I was crying as we told the stories - and was partly just still in shock from hearing that he had just passed away. I couldn't imagine him not being here anymore - I always enjoyed talking to him on the phone - he made me feel so good and special and always praised me for the family I am raising.

As we were talking, Konnor noticed how sad I was and said, "Don't worry, Mom! Grandpa is going to be resurrected!" That little comment from my sweet little boy helped me put things into perspective - that we come to earth to gain a body, to live as families, to be tested, and then there will come a time for all of us to die. But we know there is life beyond this one - and one day, we will be resurrected and be able to live with our families eternally. I am so grateful for that knowledge which I have - and it helps ease the pain associated with him passing. I know that one day soon, I will again get to see him and hug him and talk to him - and we will never be separated again!

We all flew to Boise on Thanksgiving Day - and immediately went to the church where the family had gathered for dinner - and for the viewing. We got to give my Grandma a hug and see all of the members of the family (out of 50+ direct descendants - not one person was missing). The viewing was nice - and the funeral was beautiful. I enjoyed all of the stories and memories that were given. We then went to the graveside service where a beautiful dedicatory prayer upon the grave was given by my Uncle Hugo. The tears that were shed that day, though, weren't of sadness - but I think were happy tears for the opportunity we had to have Grandpa on earth with us for so long - and for the knowledge that we will see him again.

So Grandpa, until we meet again...

And this is the last picture I had taken with Grandpa... it was from this summer when I went out by myself to a family reunion. Grandpa LOVED to fish - and I learned from him. Ironically, this is the last picture I have of he and I together. (The little boy in the picture is my nephew, Michael!)

2 comments:

Sally said...

Sorry about your Grandpa. Even though we know about the plan of salvation, we still miss people when they leave us. Cute what Konnor said!

Anonymous said...

Konnor you are so amazing. What a powerful message he gave to you! I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a wonderful man. You were so blessed to have him be there for you. He will be missed I can tell. Wonderful blog Jen! Hugs!