Thursday, August 14, 2008

$3,100 in damage

Lightning hit our house a couple of weeks ago during one of the most amazing storms I've ever experienced. It reminded us of a hurricane with the wind speed and how the rain was going sideways (and the trees were bent over). Our yard was soon a lake (you couldn't see the top of the grass) and as we were watching through our storm door, all of a sudden we saw a bright flash of light - and at the same time an incredibly loud clasp of thunder and everything in our house popped! I looked at Kendahl and said, "Uh-oh, we are in trouble."


I took this picture during the storm - but you can't really see much. The yard was completely submerged under water. It rained hard for over 1.5 hours.

After the lightning hit, for about another hour we continued smelling smoke. So we decided we'd better call the fire dept. The kids were elated, of course, to see three firemen in our house. They checked everything out and finally figured out the dryer was still smoking.

The next day, we went outside and saw where the lightning struck - it hit the Dish satellite and you can see parts of it on the grass below.

You get an idea of the intensity of this storm - huge trees in the neighborhood just fell over from the force.

But we were just glad no one was hurt! We are slowly replacing and repairing everything which was damaged from the hit. Hopefully our homeowner's insurance is nice to us and replaces everything! We have already paid for a lot of things and hope they'll reimburse us - we figure the total cost of everything lost or that had to be repaired is a little over $3,100. Ouch!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Glad you are all safe! Welcome to the South. Big storms and loads of rain.

I can't believe school already began for yall. Aug 4 is so early. What happened to the good old days of beginning in the fall?

Kim Allen said...

Oh wow that's a scary storm. I'm glad it didn't hurt you guys. Jen everytime I look at pictures of your kids I just think they are sooo cute!! I bet it's fun to have Kenna at home helping out.

Kendra said...

Holy Crap! What a blessing that you guys were safe.