But ... the doctor (not being a real talker or explainer) had us a bit worried when he sent us home despite the fact that the xray looked like that (above!) Notice the 3rd and 4th bones...
Doesn't that still look broken? It sure did to me - and the doctor offered no explanation except that it was fine and his bones had healed. And he literally left the room - and never came back after the cast was taken off (so I went home a little puzzled and worried).
That night Konnor's hand started to swell and hurt really bad - so after seeing that xray - I was very concerned that it had healed wrong (or not at all!)
So I took him in for a second opinion to a different doctor the very next day - and he explained to me that when a bone breaks, the bone around it dies - and actually the bone was looking good and had healed well - and what we are seeing in the xray is inside the bone - it is healing from the inside out. He said since his hand was crushed under the table, it also crushed the tendons and ligaments - so those are still healing - and THAT was what was making his hand swell (because all of a sudden he was using his hand and those were still healing). Anyway, so the doctor gave him a black splint to wear for the next week or two - just to help with the pain and to help him ease back into using his hand again. (I wish the first doctor had explained all of that - and I wouldn't have spent so much time worrying! Oh well. Guess that's the difference between a doctor who explains what is going on - and one who doesn't!)
It's interesting though - Konnor is preferring to use his left hand when writing and eating (even after the cast is off)! He has gotten used to having to use it! It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts...
We are all just glad the cast is off! Hooray!!
3 comments:
iam glad his hand is better. I am sorry to say that most surgeons and ortho docs are like that. I have heard a lot of stories from my patients. If he keeps up using his left, make sure you develop that pitching arm.
Poor Konner!! Hey lefties are good. Ammon & Michael both are. Spencer eats with his left so Michael is hoping!!
Alyssa is a lefty. Hooray your cast is off. Boy Kooner you are all boy :D
Post a Comment