Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Surprise Trip to the Family Reunion!

Two years ago, my family got together for a reunion. Right after that reunion, we moved across the country so we haven't been able to see anyone in my family (except my Mom and Ryan's family) since then.

A couple of months ago, my brothers decided to participate in a triathlon in Logan and so it became a mini-reunion for them. I wanted to go see everyone since it had been so long - but with ticket prices so crazy from here to there it wasn't possible. But about nine days before the reunion, I happened to find a $154 ticket roundtrip online to SLC and decided to book it and go! Since it was such a short time until the trip, I decided not to tell anyone (except my sister and one brother). The day arrived and I flew into Salt Lake City (Kendahl stayed home with the kids while I was gone!) My sister picked me up at the airport and we drove up to Logan - and then to Preston, ID. The reactions of everyone were classic - and I had THE BEST weekend ever! I felt very blessed to have been able to go. IT WAS A BLAST!

(And my apologies to all of my friends who live in the Salt Lake area - because it was such a short trip - 2 1/2 days total - I decided I'd better limit myself to just being with family! We hope to come out next summer, though, and hope to see everyone then!) Here are pics of the fun...

This picture was taken in the hotel room right after I walked in and surprised my Grandma. She still looks a bit shocked...

My brothers, (l to r) Russell, Ryan and Reed after the triathlon was over. They all did awesome - way to go guys!

My Mom (a.k.a. Grandma Bette) with her newest granddaughter, Rachel. Life can't get better than this! My sister-in-law's parents invited all of us to a private area of a lake in Preston, Idaho and we all enjoyed a delicious meal, fishing, boating, laser tag and each other's company.

Michelle and I with our sisters-in-law (l to r), Sara (Reed's wife), Emily (Russell's wife), Kim (Ryan's wife), Michelle and me.

Reed and Ryan with Debbie (Kim's mom). She and her husband, Henry, made us a delicious meals while we were there and opened their home to our entire family! Thank you!

My Dad being attacked with laser guns by all of the grandkids.

Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Christensen with baby Rachel and little Hannah.

Great-Grandpa Christensen teaching Parker how to fish.

Russell holding up the fish that Parker caught (yes, Parker was scared of it - can you tell?!)

Reed and Owen with the fish Owen caught!

Everyone on the dock looking at the kids fishing. It was such a beautiful evening - perfect weather - and so much fun!

The fish I caught!

My brother, Ryan, and I out with some of the kids in the boat!

Ryan's kids (the triplets - Michael, Cami and Kylee with their little sister Ashley) and Great Grandpa Chris - the avid fisherman!

Cousins Parker, Matthew and Luke - can you tell they are the same age? They were born only about a week apart!

The next day we got ready for church - here is Emily with Hannah. This picture just cracks me up! Hannah is so dang cute!

Four of the same age cousins - Parker, Luke, and twins Meghan and Matthew. They were all born a week or so apart. The only one who wasn't there is Richard's little boy, David, who was born about a month before them! My parents had FIVE grandbabies born in a one month period back in 2004! It's so fun to see them growing up and all together!

The whole family - we were only missing Kendahl and our kids, and my brother Rich and his family!

Baby Rachel was blessed while we were all together - she looked so cute in her white dress. It was a special day and I'm glad I had the opportunity to be there. Henry called me a "baby hog" but I couldn't help it - I took every chance I could and held her as much as possible!

After church, we all gathered at Debbie and Henry's house - here are Mom, Emily and Michelle (the ladies in black) on the front porch.

Napoleon Dynamite was filmed in Preston - and my brothers all LOVE that movie. So Ryan took us on a Napoleon Dynamite tour. Here are Monica (our cousin), my Mom and Michelle as we began the tour...

This is Napoleon's house - Reed decided to get out and make a Napoleon face!

Here is Trish's house. (It's for sale if you want to buy it!)

This is Pedro's house.

Michelle and me with "Tina" the llama - she was actually quite friendly and interested in us. But eventually spit at Reed (I don't think any of us have laughed that hard in a long time!).

Back at the house, my brothers decided to see if Dad could ride their triathlon bike (in his Sunday clothes). After getting a short lesson on how to get his feet out of the pedals (because they locked in), we walked up the dirt driveway to the road. . .

Russell and Ryan gave Dad a push - we were all hoping he wouldn't fall when it came time to stop and get his feet out of the pedals. Happy to report that he didn't.

The girls on the porch - (l to r) Monica, me, Sara, Emily, Michelle and Kim.

Our family picture! We were just missing Richard - hopefully he and his family can make it next year! (l to r - Russell, me, Mom, Dad, Ryan, Michelle and Reed.)

Michelle with Cami and Kylee looking at pictures on her camera. I just thought this was a cute picture of them!

Everyone had to leave to go home on Monday, but my flight wasn't until Tuesday. So Michelle and I decided to go to Salt Lake City on Monday to spend the day and enjoy the sights! We had a great time. Here we are eating at "The Garden" Restaurant which overlooks Temple Square! I felt at home!

We went to the Church History Museum - and then we went on the roof on top of the Conference Center - I had never been up there and it was awesome! And I even got to show Michelle where I lived on my mission (you could see the houses from the rooftop!)

This was underneath the big tower on top of the Conference Center. It was a hot day - but there was a nice breeze right at that spot.

In front of the Salt Lake City Temple - I had such a fun time visiting those 10 acres where I served my mission - it brought back so many memories. It was a nice way to end my trip! And thanks to my family for such a fun time and so many fun memories! And thanks for letting me come surprise you!

8 comments:

Kendra said...

Jen, I love it! You are the best at pulling off suprise visits. Like Christmas with Kendal's fam. JD's family is from Preston, so it is funny you were there. I have seen all of those.Glad you had a good trip. How fun!!!

Sara C. said...

It's too bad we can't get together more often. That was so much fun! We're glad you found that ticket. The mini-reunion was off the hook! Lookin' forward to next year. Great blog entry!

Hibbs Family said...

Jen you and your family are all so cute! Can I join your family? :) Glad you had a great time! Loved the pics!!

Christine said...

So fun, Jen! I'm glad you got to go.

Pruett said...

Jen, that was the best surprise. How fun for you and your family. I can't believe you were in IDAHO and I didn't get to see you. I am excited that you got to do that. Your pics look like you had a blast and did so much!!! We really need to do a Fam. reunion.
love you! Heather
PS~Napolian History: His house used to be owned by my Dad's aunt and we used to spend the night there when we would go to Preston for Fam. reunions. I love that movie.

Unknown said...

What great pictures!! It looks like you had a blast, what a fun little vacation!

Sally said...

Glad you had such a fun trip, loved seeing all your family! LOL at the Napoleon pictures!!!

Casey said...

Jen I'm partial to the Temple Square pics. You are great at surprising people. I'm so glad that you got to go. And I hope that I can see you sometime when you're on this side of the country. Sure love ya