Sunday, July 27, 2008

"I closed my eyes!"

A couple of weeks ago when we were at the pool, I was playing with Kenna in the shallow end while Kaylee and Konnor were going off the diving board in the deep end. I usually try to keep my eye on everyone - but wasn't watching the older two since Kenna requires my complete attention (and I knew the lifeguards were watching the kids going off the diving board so I wasn't worried). All of a sudden, the lifeguard came up and said, "Konnor hit his head on the diving board!" I freaked for a brief moment and looked that way - but couldn't see him. (I had imagined a rescue taking place in the water at that moment). Instead, he was walking towards me with another lifeguard, crying his eyes out. I got out and checked him over. I asked him where it hurt and he said his stomach. I looked and saw a scrape going all the way up his chest. The diving board had obviously taken a bite out of him. So I calmed him down and thanked the lifeguards. A few minutes later, I noticed his cheek also was bruised and had a welt where he had hit it. So I went over to the lifeguard station because he wanted some ice and asked exactly what happened. They said he was walking down the diving board - and fell off before he even got to the water - onto the concrete! But he first hit himself on the edge of the diving board as he fell (thus the scrapes on his chest and face). I asked Konnor how he fell right there (because there are rails so you can't exactly fall off very easily)? And his response... "I was closing my eyes!" Hmmmm... guess he learned his lesson the hard way that day - we keep our eyes OPEN as we walk down to the end of the diving board. And then close them once we hit the water.
The scrape on his chest - I don't think this picture gives it justice though.
His little cheek was bruised for quite a few days.

3 comments:

Anjanette said...

Poor baby! I think these little things hurt us as moms more than the kids. I hope he is feeling better - the little daredevil.:)

Hibbs Family said...

Oh my goodness, poor Konnor. I guess he will keep his eyes open from now on. :)

Sally said...

That is so sad! Glad he's ok!