Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Jessica" the grasshopper

Kaylee found "Jessica" when we went to pick blueberries. She brought "her" home (she informed us that it was a girl - and NOT a boy) and found a container to put her in. She named her and the friendship began. Jessica, though, was different from all other grasshoppers. She couldn't jump because one of her back legs was gone. So she became the perfect pet. Kaylee fed her leaves, she held her, would pet her and would take her places with us (she even went and visited some of Kaylee's friends). I began to realize that Kaylee was becoming a little too attached to this little creature. I explained to her that Jessica would probably die because she wasn't able to fly around and be outside like she was supposed to be. Last night, Kaylee decided to let Jessica go this morning. And so she did. I asked her if she was sad - and she said yes - but said she'd rather have her live than keep her and have her die. So we took these pictures shortly before "Jessica" was put back outside where she came from.


4 comments:

Sara C. said...

Awwww! Kaylee and Kenna look so cute in that picture.

Those blueberries look so yummy. Did you make a pie? mmmmmmmmm

Poor Konnor! That looked painful. Diving boards and kids scare me!

Hibbs Family said...

Kaylee is such a sweet heart! Your girls are such beauties!!

Unknown said...

So you've had a few posts since I last checked!! Busy, busy, but so much fun! The grasshopper story is precious! Blueberry picking - too much fun! So I can't believe you came to Logan UT an didn't even let us know to meet up somewhere or even stop by and see us for dinner or something? Lanee would have LOVED to see you! You were probably busy with family - totally understand! And last, I cannot believe poor little Konnor and the diving board - poor kid. By the way, your family is so adorable!!

Sally said...

That is so cute! My girls won't go near ANY bugs!